Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008: Poverty

Lamentations 4:4
Because of thirst, the infant's tongue sticks to the roof if its mouth;
the children beg for bread, but no one gives it to them
.

Today I drove to the store to buy long-sleeved onesies for Marta, because she only has three.
Today I made far too much food for dinner.
Today I ran my washing machine and dryer two times each.
Today I bought my kids Halloween novelties.
Today my children slept soundly in warm beds at naptime.
Today I spent every single minute of the day with my kids.
Today my children were bathed.
Today we wasted milk, because Marta's still learning to like it.
Today we bought extra diapers, just in case we run out.
Today I gave Berit a few diapers for her baby dolls.
Today we lived in a house that's bigger than we really need, but is filled with stuff anyway.
Today, when my 2-year-old told me she didn't want to eat her food, I told her the age-old story of children who have nothing to eat. And I meant it.
Today, when my 2-year-old went to bed, I heard her tell her daddy that some children are sad and crying because they don't have any food. And she said, "So we should really say thank you to God."
Today we looked on our chalkboard and talked about Laura, the little girl we sponsor through Compassion International, for about the same amount of money per month that we spent on miscellaneous things today. $32. That's all it takes.  Go there, today. 



Nehemiah 9:27
But when they were oppressed they cried out to you. From heaven you heard them, and in your great compassion you gave them deliverers, who rescued them from the hand of their enemies.

Matthew 10:42
"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

Mark 9:36-37
He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."



1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi Lisa,
Compassion International is a wonderful organization..... we went to an Amy Grant concert about 14 years ago and she had people set up outside the concert so..... we went out on the break and found a little boy close to Katie's age and started supporting him..... then a year later went to another of her concerts and chose another little boy about Karissa's age and have been supporting both since :) It is a wonderful opportunity and we pray for those boys and their families daily as do they ours...... it is a great thing for all...... We thank God that we are able to support Denis and Freddy and their families and it is from His grace that we are able to do this! If anyone is considering sponsoring a child please don't hesitate..... it's amazing what we take for granted!
Lisa your blog is wonderful and so true.....
love, Kim