Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

It used to make me furious when my mom would tell me to "change my attitude" when I was growing up. But it's not so bad when I tell myself, as a grown-up.

When Trevor left on Monday I was all enterprising and organizing. I admit that I get a little excited when he leaves, because, though I will of course miss him, it makes me buckle down and work out a system. I love a system. 

And with him away for a whole week, I would be super efficient and my life would be sweet with tidiness, order and the satisfaction of checking off every item on my to-do list. Ahhh.

As it turns out, I haven't exactly found my groove yet, three days into the week and three days away from Trevor's return. 

Yesterday, on our way to the grocery store, "we" decided to go to Traverse City (an hour-and-a-half drive away). (By the way, I'd love to go back today and just set up a temporary house at Target, because I relish my trips there and have twice written the company and asked them to build a store here in Petoskey, to which they politely declined.) So yesterday the only action our house saw was in the cup of curdling milk I left out and found at 10:30 p.m. 

This morning I've decided to change everything. As in, stop worrying about getting everything accomplished and just sit in my pjs with my unbrushed teeth and not clean, cook or check things off my list. My attitude adjustment, which will make me feel less guilty about all the things I had wanted to do and am not doing.

I'm pretty sure that's not what my mom had in mind 15 years ago. But it works for me.

No comments: