Friday, September 25, 2009

Wanted: Mary Poppins

Our sitter is moving.

I know, it doesn't sound like a big deal, especially if you don't have kids. But it was a big deal for us to hire a sitter. It was a big deal for us to involve her in our lives, to trust her with our children when we weren't home. It was a big deal when she started putting Marta to bed and getting her up from naps.

It was a big deal when I launched a huge project based on the knowledge that I had a sitter I could trust and rely on.

And our girls sure love her. They talk about her, sing her songs, play her games. She wears them out. She keeps them outside and loving it. She cleans up after lunch.

She's in her mid-20s, and has a real career that involves kids and programs for kids and helping kids stay out of drugs. She's certified in life-saving stuff. She's a good person. She has tons of energy. She's sporty and wears blue eye makeup sometimes.

She took much of the summer off from sitting because of her summer job, and my kids missed her and welcomed her back with fireworks when she returned.

It makes me sick to think I have to replace her. Is that ridiculous? That our sitter is so important that it makes my stomach turn? Shouldn't I be focusing on world peace, or something?

So, if you know of a sitter this good, would you let me know? Thanks.

No comments: