Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Just Words

I've recently been filling out kindergarten forms for Berit, and a teeny, tiny little voice in my mind has been nagging me about her reading skills. I haven't worked with her on reading outside of generally reading a lot of books and asking her to finish my sentences. I have a Hooked on Phonics set, and I thought that I might get that out and make it my mission to have her reading by the end of the summer.

When my sister-in-law was here with her family for the weekend, we talked about what her oldest daughter, age 6, is reading for fun. Ramona, Boxcar - she's a girl after both of our hearts, and I felt a little swell of excitement that Berit might read these titles soon enough. I mentioned my anxiety over B's lack of skill to my sister-in-law, a former elementary teacher, and she set my mind at ease. She gave me simple ideas to promote Berit's enjoyment and comprehension, but suggested I don't forge ahead with my summer mission. 

Then yesterday, after a friend was here for the evening, Berit disappeared for a few minutes and emerged with this note, composed entirely unaided:

"Dear Gigi I lovd plaen (playing) wit you Berit"

I think we're going to be OK.

No comments: